Thursday, July 2, 2009

Have Adventure, Will Travel: Part I

Ever since summer family vacations to interesting places, I have loved traveling. With travel trailer in tow, we have made it as far N as Maine, as far S as Kentucky, as far E as the Atlantic Ocean and as far W as Colorado. Arriving at a camp ground, we would set up home base and then venture out into the countryside to see what findings were there.

By the time sophomore year in high school rolled around and the Spanish club offered a trip to Spain, I was more than ready to go (having already been to Montreal). It was easy to sign up again for Mexico my senior year. I loved both trips. Understandably when the time came for a cross-cultural trip for seminary I signed up to go to Guatemala. On internship last year I spent a week in Ireland with my friend Karen.

The desire to travel came again when thinking about when and where to take a first call. How could I settle somewhere for 3 years without taking one more chance to travel and branch out my ministry skills a bit more? Imagine all the interesting people I would meet, the conversations I would have and the culture/history I would encounter.

Last fall semester when I took two classes with Dr. Ling from Myanmar (Burma), I discovered the summer program at the Myanmar Institute of Theology where Dr. Ling teaches. One month in Myanmar comprised of 3 weeks of lecture/guest speakers and 1 week of travel. How could I pass up the opportunity to spend 28 days in conversation with new cultures, religions and ways of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment