Tuesday, July 7, 2009

At Last...My Love Has Come Along

Today I arrived in Myanmar!

I got to the airport around 11:30am, roughly on schedule. The flight in was much longer than expected. I thought it would be 2 hours, but I think it was more like 3-3.5 hours. I fell asleep just before the flight attendant passed out the customs and arrival forms--the kind of sleep where your head bobs around because you are so tired.

Surprise #1: They fed us a lunch meal and a snack. If you want to eat for free, fly China Airlines!

Surprise #2: Dr. Ling picked me up at the airport. It was nice to see a face I recognized after 2 days of not knowing anyone. He was very excited that I finally arrived. Perhaps a bit shocked that it was real.

We went from the airport to the hotel to drop off my things and then to MIT (Myanmar Institute of Theology) to meet up with the rest of the group as the program started on Monday. I missed going to the largest pagoda in Yangon yesterday, but today we went to the natural history museum. It was extremely hot in the building and the temperature increased with each floor we ascended. We managed to make it to the 3rd floor before we gave up. Artifacts go back to the 10th century with carved stone, carved stucco, fabrics, paintings, lacquered containers/dishes, hand carved furniture, huge wagons and musical instruments to name a few of the things we saw. It's quite something to see intricately ornate clothing one of the 3 kings of Burma wore 300-400 years ago and know it was hand made.

Dinner was at a local restaurant about a block from the hotel. Cuisine was very traditional including rice, bamboo mix, cooked greens, and a tray of sauces and garnishes. Much like Mexico, foreigners cannot drink the water. This excludes consuming any foods and drinks that are not cooked or bottled for concern of getting sick after eating them. Having been to Mexico twice, you get used to brushing your teeth with bottled water and keeping your mouth shut in the shower no matter how badly you want to sing.

The hotel room is nice. I haven't quite figured out how to work the air conditioning, but it's not bad for sleeping. Nighttime is warm, but not as oppressive as the daytime when the sun is out. The dew point is in the low 70s which makes most activities challenging, like say drying your hair or walking up stairs. There are 2 beds, a bathroom, 2 chairs, a desk and a clothes cabinet. I am expecting, since I have a 2nd bed, that I will get a roommate next week. The 3 other Americans who are signed up will not arrive until the 2nd week.

1 comment:

  1. Jen! It's good to hear that things are going well. The Natural History Museum sounded amazing. Stay cool:) Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete