Thursday, March 18, 2010

Feet Don't Fail Me Now


A slow morning was in order after two people joined our room in the middle of the night. I woke up multiple times from the girl flopping and rolling around above me. She hasn't been back all evening, so I'm sure I'm in for another fun night. After breakfast I blogged a bit to try and wake up more. Eventually I got bored which led to my walking. I stopped at a shop near the Vatican that sells the cheapest postcards I have found and then mailed them at the Vatican post office. I meandered along the Tiber River toward the Colosseum and Roman Forum. It took an hour to walk there which wasn't bad considering I had a nice stroll. I was rather tired when I reached the ruins and only had walking ahead of me.
[Temple of Saturn]
The map I had for the Roman Forum and Palatine was hard to read. It was more of a sketch and difficult to follow where the paths led to the interesting sites. After much circling about I had seen most of the sites, a few of which were closed (much to my disappointment) speeding along my visit. [Stadium] The Paltine area was pleasant. Agustus' house was there and the height of the area provided some excellent 360 views of Roma. The Colosseum, however, was quite a sight. Towering high into the sky its imposing form stops you in your tracks upon first sight. Even from a distance you will catch yourself looking twice before moving along. After so much walking I was in the mood for a snack and a place to sit to rest my feet. On the way through town I noticed a small cafe that was filled with sweet treats--right up my alley! If I had turned the way I had planned, I would have missed this shop and the Jewish ghetto I walked through where there were also delicious treats and cozy restaurants. I managed to find the shop--Bar Amore--again on the way back. I picked out a small confection that appeared to be a cookie dipped in chocolate and a cream filled pastry of sorts. The chocolate will remain a mystery until I dig into it tomorrow.

For dinner I cooked up a second batch of my chicken, basil pasta with the addition of a red pepper--most delicious! I think tomorrow will be a lazy day lounging around St. Peter's Square and perhaps a cafe unless I feel so inclined to a day trip to Tivoli for some gorgeous fountain action.

No comments:

Post a Comment