Monday, March 15, 2010

All Roads Lead to Rome

Today was a travel day from Napoli to Roma. I wished Hannah safe travels when she left at 5am to head to the train station and then took the rest of the morning slowly. After packing and then polishing off left overs from last nights' dinner, I headed out to Stazione Centrale to buy my ticket to Roma. Apart from the long walk to the metro, things went smoothly. Before I knew it I was on the train and watching the countryside fly by.

Moving toward more central Italy brought a few shifts in scenery. Most of the land where the train runs is farmland. I saw open fields in varying shades of green, herds of sheep lolling and grazing about, brown/black cows sitting in mud, vacant barns/houses, red tiled roofs and mountains hazy with pollution. It was easy to tell when we were close to Roma as the density of housing dramatically increased.

Once at the train station, a quick trip on the metro dropped me off about 400m from the hostel. I was ever so close to the building, but couldn't read the building numbers that were above my head. I stopped in to ask at a building that I thought might be it. Turns out it was across the street in a pink building. Might you add to your directions--"We're on the 5th floor on the NORTH side of the street in a PINK building." to help people find it?? I would. At least this place has an elevator. For that, I cannot complain. It's a bit noisy here, but other than that it's not too bad. I think I was a bit spoiled by the family like atmosphere at 6 Small Rooms in Napoli.

For dinner I wandered E to locate Gusto which supposedly had E8 pizzas. I found it relatively easily after a pleasant walk along the Tiber River. Turns out they have happy hour from 6-9pm and with a E9-12 drink you can eat as much as you like from the buffet of goodies. With a lovely Syrah wine I enjoyed some cheese patties, beef rolled around salad greens with cheese/pine nuts/balsamic vinegar, pizza with basil/meat/cheese, barley salad with carrots/corn/celery/tomatoes/olives, chicken salad with dressing, pastry dough with marinara sauce (the best one I tried!), chunky tomato paste on bread, bread strips with chili oil, and rosemary potatoes. I think that was all of it. The food was delicious and I was stuffed.

My trip back led me through the Piazza del Popolo with its stunning obelisk and back along the Tiber River. After a hot shower, a good night's sleep is definitely in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment