Monday, March 8, 2010

Confusing Corinth

I took the morning slowly drying out the last dampness from my clothes on the radiator and making my way to breakfast. I asked as the desk what the best way was to get to Korinthos. He suggested a bus since the trains often change schedules every few weeks. Armed with directions to the bus station and all my luggage, I headed out.

All in all, getting to the bus station wasn't too bad. I bought a ticket to Korinthos and the bus was leaving in a short 20 minutes. Nice to not have to wait around too long. A quick 2 hours later and I was in Korinthos. The only problem left to solve was how to get to Ancient Korinthos. The last stop left me in what seemed like central downtown Korinthos. No bus stations in sight. I dragged my luggage around the square and inquired at a shop how to get to the bus station. The directed me back to the stop where I had gotten off insisting that you could get many busses from there. I stopped a taxi to see how much it would cost to get the 4km to the town where I wanted to be--a whopping E10!! I recognized one of the hotel names from my online searches a couple nights before. I figured they would be able to give me clearer directions. Sure enough all you do is go to the bus stop on the corner and use the machine to get your ticket.

There were tons of teenagers waiting. I think they were taking the busses home from school. They all filled up the first bus to Ancient Korinthos, so I was hoping there would be another since there were still about 20 of them left. Fortunately there was and I got off near the place where I was looking to stay for the night. Success!! The hotel is nice, but really cold during the day and early evening. When I asked the owners, the lady (I think) tried to convey that it would warm up again soon and to let her know if it didn't get better. My guess is it must only heat at night and in the morning. I put three blankets on the bed anyway because it only ever got up to 63F--a vast improvement from the 59F while I was sitting there in the afternoon. Since it's still winter hours, most sites are closed at 3pm--just about the time I rolled into town. Since the ruins of Corinth are all that I'm here to see, it won't be a problem to wait until tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment