Friday, April 9, 2010

We All Live In A Yellow Submarine

My morning started a bit earlier than usual at 7:30am to prepare for an exciting Mediterranean adventure. With another tasty breakfast of granola and milk, I left 15 minutes later than planned. Not only would I have to run to arrive on time, but I still had to stop and get money to pay for my excursion. I was hoping there would be an ATM in sight when I got off the tram. I got off at Place Garibaldi/The Port and much to my delight I walked right into an ATM. I whipped out my map and navigated my way to the east side of the port/marina. Supposedly the business had "Nice Diving" out front in large blue letters. Dodging cars and crossing streets, it finally appeared on my left. Inside I greeted the swarming helpers and handed over my voucher as I apologized for being late (fortunately it was only 5 minutes).

They sized me up for a wet suit and sent me out to the boat. Made it just in time to go scuba diving off the coast of Nice!

We sat on the boat for a good 20 minutes while the other 15 people prepared their gear for diving. I waited somewhat impatiently all geared up from running and anxious to start my adventure. One of the women who was leading the dives took me up front on the boat, helped me pick out fins and a mask, and gave me a quick run through on diving basics. She told me about the mask and two things I needed to remember for a successful dive: 1. Push in-between your eyes and blow air out your nose if you get water in your mask. 2. Pinch your nose and blow air out your ears to pop them as you descend. Seemed pretty straight forward.

When we reached the diving spot, everyone else on the boat suited up. After a few helpful tips on how to wear a wet suit, I took my time getting dressed. The lady had said something about being the last one on the boat so I gathered I wasn't going anywhere fast. It wasn't until the last two guys left the boat that one of the instructors informed me that I was to wait for Erik with the beard to return before I went back out. Thus began what I think was probably a 1/2 hour wait on a very rocky boat, in the hot sun and a black wet suit. I've never had trouble being on boats, but I hadn't anticipated such large waves for such a continuous time (about an hour since people started leaving the boat). I also didn't want to drink any more water because I already sort of had to go to the bathroom and it's a bit difficult to move around in a tight wet suit with fins on. My guess is a mixture of
heatstroke and seasickness set in and made me rather nauseous. I spent a good 15 minutes just lounging on the bench until Erik and the divers returned.
[mine is the yellow striped one]
Once I hit the cold water--aaaahhhh. All was better. Erik suited me up in a diving vest with a tank on it, tightened my mask and adjusted my air. Off to diving! What a view! Down below in the blue green water was rocky coral coastline with all sorts of ocean vegetation and life. We floated over grasses, seaweed looking plants in pinks, creams and greens, sea urchins, and schools of fish. I even got to hold an octopus that was about a foot long. It was surprisingly soft and fuzzy. The 20 minute dive was just the right amount of time to acclimatize, enjoy and get tired.

Back on the boat I had to peel the suit off of me and try to dry off as quick as I could. It was suddenly much colder in the breeze now that I'd been in such cold water. I was most grateful for the free beach towel from the hostel. We had a selection of juice and wine on the way back to the dock. What a wonderful time!

Quite calm and relaxed, I decided the best move was to grab some lunch and hit the beach for some sun and to make the most of my makeshift swimsuit. I wandered through Old Town where I found a chicken club baguette (lettuce, tomatoes and mayo) and a couple oranges. It's a rather long walk to the beach area, but it was pleasantly sunny. I plopped down on the rocky beach and settled in for a relaxing afternoon. A short hour later I was delightfully more tan and pleasantly full. Enough outdoor time for the day, so I headed to the hostel to get a shower and decrustify my hair from the salt water. Hot water never felt so good!

Dinner was another tasty meal with the ladies Louise and Michelle. Tonight's fare was barbecued pork ribs with potato salad and a green salad. The ribs too effort to eat as the meat was a bit tough, but sometimes you just need BBQ sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment