Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hot Dogs Anyone?

[View of a small town along the Rhine River on the train ride.]
On first glance Frankfurt is not much of a quaint city. As soon as you step out from the Hauptbanhof (train station), all you can see are skyscrapers in a multitude of shapes and twisting designs with their shiny glass windows. [Frankfurt, home where all Euros are produced] Some of the ground level buildings are closer to more traditional German styles, but even they are rather modern looking. It's not until you venture closer to the heart of the city that you discover a tiny piece of what Frankfurt used to look like from before the bombings of WWII. Romberg, a thin strip of Frankfurt along the Rhine River, is all that remains pre-bombing. Focusing around a central square are 4-5 story buildings which survived the war along with about 4 churches nestled amongst them in the close surrounding area. The square is lined with small tourist shops and a few bars serving up a variety of beers, but the local brew is apfelwein--an apple cider wine. Surprisingly Frankfurt is not known for its wieners, but for its drink.

Wandering around the area took me into a Protestant church along the square. I've been in so many Catholic churches I'd almost forgotten there was a difference, especially when the buildings often look the same. This one was quite new and made of pink stone. I didn't spend too much time inside as a group of youth were practicing some kind of presentation. The design was simple and appealing to my taste in architecture. I traveled a short distance down the street to the Dom which was more of a maroon red stone and in a Gothic style with lots of scallops and statues all about the outside. I was surprised the inside was so new and simple looking when this was one of the few buildings that remained after the war. I expected it to be preserved differently. Evidently this is a busy church as noted by the recording paraphernalia inside and the church radio broadcasting van outside.

Having wandered through the sights of Romberg, I headed toward the river to enjoy a stroll. There are some great views of the surrounding city and the many bridges over the river. The popular thing to do is to grab a patch of grass down by the river and sit for hours drinking and eating with friends. I found a few more streets that had a bit of a charming look to them with plenty of restaurants, taverns, hotels and bars lining them. Anxious to try the apfelwein, I stopped back at Romberg square where I procured 250mL for E1.60. It's similar to a slightly bitter pinot grigio, but the color of pale apple cider. I can see why people enjoy it.

Dinner was easy tonight. The hostel offered a free pasta meal. Ziti with red sauce, cheese and fresh cracked black pepper. I had two helpings while chatting with Jim from CA who was traveling with his wife after visiting his sister in England. They were delayed for a while from flying back because of the volcano in Iceland. Hopefully the air will clear out soon as I look toward flying to England. [Yet another protest in the city where I happen to be. This was something about Romania.]

No comments:

Post a Comment